The 2019-2020 TV Season kicks off

Michael Mallard, Editor

It is September, and this time of year always brings new television series and returning seasons of past favorites. This month, the streaming, network, and cable channels have a variety of programming ready for viewers to watch. If you haven’t caught up on some of these shows, beware of spoilers.

On ABC, Grey’s Anatomy is returning for its sixteenth season on September 26th. This season will follow the consequences of Meredith (Ellen Pompeo), Alex (Justin Chambers), and Richard (James Pickens Jr.) being fired from Grey Sloan Hospital for insurance fraud. Immediately afterward, A Million Little Things will premiere its sophomore season with Eddie (David Giuntoli), coming clean to Katherine (Grace Park) about being the real father of Delilah’s (Stephanie Szostak) baby. The last show on ABC Thursdays will be the final season of How To Get Away With Murder, that will show how Annalise (Viola Davis) and her students evade the law one more time. For comedy, Modern Family will start its eleventh, and final, season on September 25.

On NBC, the family drama This Is Us is back for its fourth season with an extra-long episode on September 24th, with many new cast members. “The magic of this show is that there’s still so much story to tell, and that is exciting,” said series regular Mandy Moore. 

Also on NBC is the timely new show Sunnyside, that stars Kal Penn as a New York councilman who helps immigrants start a new life in the Big Apple. Sunnyside debuts September 26.

CBS will once again host the long running crime shows NCIS and Criminal Minds, with the former set to wrap up after its fifteenth season. Also in the works at CBS is The Unicorn, a new comedy starring Walter Goggins as a widower who is encouraged to try dating again by his friends. It also premieres on the 26th, which is shaping up to be a big day for TV.

On Fox, Empire kicks off its sixth and final season. The hip-hop musical drama will begin on the 26th. Also, the thriller 9-1-1 will premiere on September 23rd with the first responders in Los Angeles responding to a tsunami.

Cable and streaming platforms will also be rolling out new programming in the coming weeks. FX’s American Horror Story Season 9 begins on the 18th, subtitled 1984. This incarnation of the series will star Emma Roberts, Billie Lourd, Cody Fern, and Gus Kenworthy as summer camp counselors being targeted by a killer. Another dark fantasy cable series, AMC’s The Walking Dead, will start its tenth season on October 6.

On Netflix, Season 1 of The Politician will become available on September 27th, and will star Ben Platt as a teenager running for student body president. On Hulu, the teen drama Looking For Alaska will drop October 18, based on the John Green novel of the same name.